2019 Legislative Priorities
As citizens and members of the MFRW we are actively involved in supporting or opposing legislation that will harm our economy, the integrity of our elections, the safety of our citizens and the environment. We are active through emails, phone calls, and testifying before committees. We have representatives who attend both the House and Senate Caucus meetings on a weekly basis, and provide a report.
Topic: Congressional and Legislative Redistricting
We support Governor Hogan’s Emergency Commission to Draft Revised Congressional Districts for approval for 2020 election; and his legislation to enact an Independent Commission process to draft new Legislative and Congressional Districts that are compact, contiguous and of equal population after 2020 census.
Topic: Voting Integrity Issues
- If Same Day Voter Registration and Voting on General Election Day is implemented, we support requiring proof of citizenship to register and vote a regular ballot otherwise vote a provisional ballot.
- We oppose Ranked Choice Voting (MC 29-19) and (HB 26-19 – Baltimore City -with open primaries)
- We oppose Automatic Voter Registration
- We support Showing Government-Issued Photo ID to Vote
- We support Removing Non-Citizens from the Voters’ List
OTHER ISSUES OF CONCERN TO MFRW
Legislation implementing Kirwan Commission recommendations and Gaming Revenue Constitutional amendment must require accountability for School Systems to achieve outcomes from increased Education funding, such as: improved student reading and mathematics at grade level; and improved attendance and graduation rates within a reasonable time (perhaps 3 years) to continue to receive this additional funding.
Topic: Immigration – Sanctuary City/State
We oppose prohibiting local and State law enforcement officials from cooperating with Federal DOJ or ICE or providing immigration status of anyone in custody without a federal warrant.
Topic: Economic Impact
- We support allowing individuals to claim all of their deductions on MD income tax return even if they don’t itemize on Federal Income Tax return.
- We oppose an Individual Mandate to purchase Health Insurance or enacting a single-payer health care system.
- Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard – we oppose further increases in the amount of renewable energy electric customers must purchase. Currently 25% of their energy must come from renewable (wind, solar and qualifying bio mass) sources beginning in 2021.
Topic: Respect for Life
- We oppose Assisted Suicide or “Death with Dignity” legislation.
- We support Pain-Capable Unborn Child legislation.
- We oppose Legalizing recreational Marijuana.
- We support more effective treatment vs incarceration for opioid addiction.
Diana Waterman, President (email@example.com)
Ella Ennis, Legislative Chairman (firstname.lastname@example.org)